Missoula’s Flathead Lake Brewing Company Catches Fire, Likely Started by Cigarette
At 10:11 Friday morning, May 10, smoke could be seen rolling out of the basement of the Flathead Lake Brewing Company at 424 North Higgins. Missoula Fire Department Assistant chief Chad Nicholson describes the scene.
"The fire was mostly on the outside of the building by an old exterior door," Nicholson said. "The fire did get into the basement of the building. Crews were able to get into the basement to find the seat of the fire and put it out. We're estimating about $2,000 worth of damage because it melted some plastic water pipes in there and some of their wiring got melted."
Because the fire destroyed the fire alarm system, Flathead Lake Brewing Company will have to hire someone to be on fire watch if it wants to open for business.
Nicholson says the fire appears to have been started by a cigarette that was tossed into a pile of leaves near the alleyway door.
No one was injured.