Less than an hour after his client heard the clerk of District Court read the verdict of the jury that Markus Kaarma was guilty of deliberate homicide, a determined Paul Ryan said he has been planning all along to appeal a guilty verdict, should one occur. 

"Without a question there were plans even prior to the trial, because some of the decisions that were made including keeping the trial in this community, which is obviously very emotionally charged," Ryan said. "There's been a tremendous amount of media attention, much of it negative, and we feel there's a number of appealable issues that the (Montana) Supreme Court will have to address."

Ryan said the fact that District Judge Ed McLean denied not one, but two motions for a change of venue top the list of issues he plans to bring before a higher court.

"There's also a number of other procedural things, so it would be hard for me to address each one under these circumstances, but there's a number of things that happened that we believe were contrary to Montana law that need to be addressed and looked over by the Montana Supreme Court," he said.

Ryan said, naturally, Kaarma, his mother and his partner Janelle Pflager are deeply disappointed by the verdict.

"Obviously, they're all very devastated and this is an extremely difficult time for them," Ryan said. "They're going to analyze if they can even stay in Missoula. I know Markus' mother will remain in this community because she wants to be a part of the continuing efforts to have her son receive the justice that she thinks is appropriate, and that he would be vindicated for this. She will continue to provide support for not only Markus but the family, so that that may occur. This is not over for us, we think there's a lot more that needs to be looked at, but that's the plan from the family's point of view."

Kaarma was found guilty of deliberate homicide in the shotgun shooting death of 17 year-old German exchange student Diren Dede Wednesday afternoon after a nearly two week trial in Missoula District Court.

Upon hearing the verdict, Kaarma's mother doubled over and wailed 'No,no.no', while Kaarma's partner and the mother of his child, Janelle Pflager wept.

The parents of Diren Dede also wept in each other's arms, but theirs were tears of joy and relief, in that they felt their son had received justice so far from his home in Hamburg, Germany.

A hearing will be held on Thursday morning so that the Dede's and their family members can testify before Judge Ed McLean prior to sentencing, which is scheduled for February 12, 2015.

Following the verdict, Kaarma was led away by Missoula County Sheriff's deputies to the Missoula County Jail where he will be held without bail.

Deliberate homicide carries a penalty of not less than 10 years, up to life in the Montana State Prison.

More From Newstalk KGVO 1290 AM & 98.3 FM