UPDATE - Monday, April 28, 12:00 noon

The Missoula School District has released the name of the victim of Sunday morning's fatal shooting as a German foreign exchange student, Diren Dede, 17.

Communications Director for MCPS Hatton Littman said said Dede was a junior in the foreign exchange program at Big Sky High School. The police department is conducting an investigation into the shooting, and is asking anyone with information to contact Detective Guy Baker at 396-3217.

The staff and administration at Big Sky High School is providing grief support services to students on Monday, April 28, as well as ongoing support throughout this process.

MCPS Superintendent Alex Apostle said Dede was well-liked by his fellow students.

"He was a very likable student, and was involved in soccer at Big Sky," Apostle said. "I've heard nothing but positive comments regarding the exchange student. Our responsibility is not only with the student's family, but also making sure that our students and staff and the families that are involved."

Apostle said the Missoula Police department and other authorities have provided a great deal of support to the school and the students.

"Everyone has been wonderful to work with," Apostle said. "The police department, St. Patrick Hospital, the county attorney, everyone is on board to make sure we go through this process appropriately. Plus, we've had tremendous support from the organization that's sponsoring these foreign exchange students. They're handling the contact with the parents, as well as all the agencies involved in this difficult process. Again, our mission is to provide support to our school families and students during this difficult time."

The Council on International Educational Exchange is the organization that brought Dede to Missoula. KGVO News has reached out for an interview, but they have not yet returned the call.

MCPS Superintendent Alex Apostle

At approximately 12:22 am Sunday, Missoula Police Officers responded to the report of a shooting that had just occurred in the 2600 block of Deer Canyon Court.

Upon their arrival, officers encountered a male and female resident at the front of the house. A 17-year-old male lay wounded in their garage. Initial reports indicate that the male resident encountered an intruder in his garage after an alarm went off, and subsequently shot him with a shotgun.

The 30-year-old male resident has been arrested in connection with this incident, and the 17-year-old intruder has succumbed to his injuries and is deceased. The case is currently under investigation.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact Detective Guy Baker at (406) 396-3217.