Missoula, MT (KGVO-AM News) - The Missoula City Fire Department reports that an elderly woman has died in a mobile home fire on Cooley Street.

KGVO News spoke to Assistant Fire Chief of Operations Brad Davis about the incident that occurred late Thursday night.

An Elderly Woman has Died in a Mobile Home Fire on Cooley Street

“Unfortunately late last night around 11:18 p.m., we had a report of a structure fire on Cooley Street,” began Chief Davis. “The Missoula Fire Department responded along with our partners with the Missoula Police Department and Missoula Emergency Services. Upon arrival, we did find a structure fire; our engine 141 evaluated the scene and went in to do a primary search and fire extinguishment.”

Davis said fire crews searched the mobile home and discovered the body of an elderly woman.

The Fire Department said the Woman's Body was Found in the Kitchen

“Unfortunately during their first initial search they found a victim within the structure was evacuated immediately upon finding her, and she was transferred over to medical crews and Missoula Police Department personnel that were outside of the residence. It was an elderly female that was removed from the structure.”

Davis said fire and emergency crews respond as quickly as possible to any structure fire, but expressed his condolences to the family and friends of the fire’s victim. 

“As always, we regret to inform of these types of incidents, and we just add our deepest condolences to the family and loved ones at any time a tragic accident like this happens, and especially during the upcoming holiday months, so just want to reiterate that the Missoula Fire Department is here to respond and do the best we can,” he said. “Unfortunately, on occasion, things like this happen, and we just want to make sure that we don't forget about the family and people that are affected by the tragic incident. It was an elderly female that was removed from the structure.” 

The victim was evacuated from the structure immediately upon finding her and was transferred over to medical crews and Missoula Police Department personnel who were outside of the residence. 

According to a press release from the Missoula Fire Department: 

‘A thorough primary search of the entire structure was conducted, revealing no other victims or signs of fire spread. As additional crews provided ventilation and support, the original fire experienced a re-ignition and was promptly extinguished. The victim’s name will not be released at this time, pending notification of family members. Notification will be conducted by the Missoula Police Department.’ 

Looking Back at One of Montana's Most Explosive Fires

The 2013 Lolo Creek Fire burned within 6 miles of Missoula

Gallery Credit: Dennis Bragg

More From Newstalk KGVO 1290 AM & 98.3 FM