Missoula, MT (KGVO-AM News) - Missoula Rural Fire, along with Missoula City Fire and other agencies responded to a mobile home fire on Thursday in the Westview Park area.

I spoke with Missoula Rural Fire Battalion Chief Rob Lubke about the incident that occurred just after 6:00 p.m.

Lubke said when firefighters arrived, the resident was already attempting to knock down the fire.

The Resident was Fighting the Fire When MRFD Crews Arrived

“The first engine arrived and the homeowner had actually knocked down the fire on the exterior of the house with a fire extinguisher and a garden hose but it was still smoldering,” began Lubke. “As crews investigated further, they discovered additional fire burning underneath the mobile home in the insulation and the vapor barrier under the mobile home and they were able to quickly extinguish that. Then they had to kind of tear up the wall a little bit where it had burned in the porch to make sure that they had the fire completely extinguished.”

Lubke said multiple agencies arrived to help battle the mobile home fire.

Missoula City Fire also Responded along with Other Agencies

“Missoula Fire Department responded with us and they sent one engine,” he said. “Missoula Rural (Fire) sent two engines, a ladder truck, a water tender and a command unit and we had 15 firefighters on the scene. We also had a Missoula Emergency Services ambulance, the Missoula County Sheriff's Office and Northwestern energy who all responded to the scene to assist us as well.”

Lubke said the resident was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene and was not transported to a hospital, but he added the fact that the mobile home’s smoke detector probably saved the man’s life.

READ MORE: Missoula Council Votes to Put $7 Million Fire Levy on the Ballot

Lubke said the Smoke Detector 'Likely Saved the Man's Life'

“We estimated damage between $5,000 and $10,000,” he said. “The home is salvageable and the contents are salvageable. There was some smoke damage throughout the home, and the smoke detectors were functioning. In this particular case, the homeowner did have smoke detectors, and he happened to be asleep at the time of the fire and that's probably not only alerted him to the fire but very well could have saved his life.”

Lubke urged those living in mobile homes to make sure they have working smoke detectors and to be very careful with  heat tape on pipes under the trailer.

Lubke estimated the property saved was valued at over $100,000.

Looking Back at One of Montana's Most Explosive Fires

The 2013 Lolo Creek Fire burned within 6 miles of Missoula

Gallery Credit: Dennis Bragg

More From Newstalk KGVO 1290 AM & 98.3 FM