Missoula Rural Fire Stops Blaze Before Carbon Monoxide Could Overwhelm Residents [YouTube]
Missoula Rural Fire responded to a house filled with smoke in Piltzville on Tuesday afternoon.
Battalion Chief Blaine Cowan said when crews arrived, they found a boiler-type device with smoke billowing out the back.
He said crews were able to extinguish the fire, however, the incident could have turned tragic because the level of carbon monoxide had risen dramatically inside the home, and if the fire had occurred later in the night when residents were asleep, the consequences could have been much more serious.
Cowan reminds residents to have their heating appliances checked in the winter to make sure they are working properly.