The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program is back this year at the University of Montana.The program started in 1971. It offers free tax help to those with an income of $54,000 or less.

NBC Montana reports Missoula resident Kimberly Miller goes every year, allowing volunteers and students with basic tax training to lend their expertise.

"If it's their first time, I like them to take their time and understand it," said Miller.

Accounting students sit down to meet one-on-one with each client. They answer questions, help them sort through tax documents, and fill out paperwork.

In order to receive help, the following documents are required.

-Social security card

-Photo ID

-All W-2s

-Tuition Statements 1098-T

-Bank and routing number for direct deposit

-Total pay records for daycare provider

If you are filing as a married couple for a joint tax return, both spouses must be present

Organizers say the wait time is usually short.

For Miller, it's a chance to get ahead of the game.

"I'm glad I get to do it early instead of waiting until the last minute, a lot of people have to wait until their w2s come in, I'm lucky ours come in quite early," said Miller.

The Vita program is available every Saturday at the UM from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. until March 5th.