Hamilton Fire Chief Brad Mohn suspects a tow chain that was hanging too low caused the sparks that started four grass fires along the West Side Road of Hamilton.

The fires happened early Saturday afternoon, July 29, with temperatures in the upper 90s.

Only an acre burned before the firemen put out the four fires, but homes could've been in danger. Hamilton and Corvallis Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the fast-moving fires.

Besides all the other warnings we issue this time of year, the safety chains used when towing a trailer are another safety hazard if they are too long. Often, the motorist never knows if the fire was caused by his vehicle. So, take some time and check your trailer safety chains.

And while we're talking about vehicles and grass fires, don't park in tall grass. The hot catalytic converter under your car can easily start a fire.

Ravalli County, Missoula County and the Bitterroot National Forest are under Stage II fire restrictions. No campfires and no smoking.

More From Newstalk KGVO 1290 AM & 98.3 FM