UPDATE: 5:00 p.m. Sunday, September 13

Missoula Police Public Information Officer Travis Welsh sent an update of the hostage situation on Fleet Street in the Pleasant View neighborhood.

Investigators were able to make contact with a woman inside the home. She came outside to talk with officers, and an arrest warrant was issued for a man who was still in the house. At about 6:24 Sunday morning members of the Missoula Police Department SWAT Team entered the crawl space of the home where they found an adult man deceased from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The investigation has now been turned over to the Montana Department of Justice Division of Criminal Investigation.


Missoula police and other special units have responded to what appears to be a possible hostage situation in the Pleasant View area near England Boulevard and Fleet Street.

Police Public Information Officer Detective Sergeant Travis Welsh provided details at about 7:00 p.m. on Saturday.

“At about 6:00 p.m. tonight, officers received information that there had been a disturbance possibly an ongoing issue at a residence on Fleet Street in the Pleasant View area,” said Welsh. “The officers learned that a relative of one of the parties involved was providing the information that included that an adult male may be holding an adult female against her will. “

Welsh said details are sketchy, but they are investigating the incident as a credible threat.

“The information included the possibility of a weapon being involved and threats being made,” he said.  “As such, we have been attempting to make phone contact with somebody at the residence. Thus far we've been unsuccessful, but were continuing to try. In the meantime, we've activated some of our special units.

Welsh said authorities are keeping a watchful eye on the situation.

“We have eyes on the building trying to ascertain if anybody is actually inside or where this might be happening.” he said. “We’re hoping that we can talk to somebody so that we can try to mitigate this situation somehow, or offer the people inside whatever resources we can to make sure that those involved can end this safely.”

Police have taped off the area near Fleet Street and England Avenue.

Sergeant Welsh said on Sunday afternoon that there had been no resolution to the incident and that investigators are monitoring the situation.

Read More


KEEP READING: These are the top 6 scams connected to the pandemic




More From Newstalk KGVO 1290 AM & 98.3 FM