Missoula Rural Fire Crews Responds To Kitchen Fire in Bonner
Missoula Rural Fire crews responded to a kitchen fire on Wednesday afternoon on Thibodeau Lane in Bonner.
Training Officer with Missoula Rural Fire, Jake Fuller, said a crew from the Bonner Fire Station was the first to respond.
"An occupant of the structure said there was a fire on the stove and that everybody was out of the structure," Fuller said. "The Bonner Fire Station was first on the scene along with the East Missoula Volunteer Fire Department. They were able to put the fire out quickly, while limiting the amount of damage to just the kitchen area."
Fuller said the fire was caused by cooking oil.
"It was a cooking oil fire on the stove," he said. "They were doing some deep-frying and we're confident that it spread to other combustibles in the area. There were four occupants of the residence, one adult and three juveniles. They were each evaluated by EMT's and treated for smoke inhalation and no one was transported."
As part of a press release, Missoula Rural Fire offers the following safety tips.
MRFD wants to remind our citizens that cooking fires are the leading cause of residential fires and fire injuries. Here are a few cooking safety tips to remember..
- Stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling or broiling food.
- In the event of a small cooking oil or grease fire, slide a lid over the pan to smother the fire and turn off the burner.
- Never put water on a cooking oil or grease fire.
- Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stovetop.
- When in doubt, get out and call 911.