Missoula, MT (KGVO-AM News) - During the early morning hours on August 16, 2023, Missoula Police Department officers were responding to a reported physical disturbance at an apartment on Audrey Court. Prior to arriving at the scene, dispatch received a call from a complainant who was identified as Jane Doe.  

Jane told dispatch that 20-year-old Devon England slammed open an apartment door that hit her. She also mentioned that her boyfriend, John Doe was knocked unconscious and “curb stomped” by England.  

Officers arrived on scene and were contacted by a large group of people who all said England was the aggressor and was in his apartment. An officer spoke with John who said his roommate, England, had been drinking and snorting “hydros” all day.  

John Doe Explains What Happened 

He said England was mad at him about not paying rent and punched him. According to Jane, John had been staying there for about 15 days but did not have any formal rental agreement. John said he was on the ground covering his head saying he did not want to fight when England “curb stomped” him. Court documents indicate England began to stomp on John’s head using the heel of his bare foot.  

John said he was kicked four times in the head and an officer was able to feel a large goose egg on the back of John’s head. John said the welt hurt when the officer touched it. John also said he was concussed and went unconscious for a short period after being kicked.  

John said he then woke up and England was trying to get into John’s bedroom. According to court documents, England punched through the door and struck Jane. England was throwing John and Jane’s items out of the residence. At one point, England then grabbed Jane’s hair, “yanked” her down, and punched her. John then got up and punched England.  

Officers Try to Arrest England 

Officers attempted to have England exit the residence. At one point, England opened the window and spoke to the officers. He continued to yell profanities, flipping them off, and claiming he was the one who was assaulted.  

Eventually, England exited the residence. While attempting to place England under arrest, England continually used physical force to pull away from the officers. Due to England’s escalated state and non-compliance, officers had to use other non-lethal methods of force to get him to comply, including deploying a taser. England was arrested and transported to St. Patrick’s Hospital to be medically cleared. 

He was then transported to the Missoula County Detention Center. England is currently being charged with felony attempted aggravated assault, assault, and obstructing a peace officer. On August 17, 2023, England made his initial appearance in Missoula Justice Court and his bond was set at $10,000. 

The information in this article was obtained from sources that are publicly viewable.  

Get to Know Missoula A to Z

All about Missoula, Montana.

More From Newstalk KGVO 1290 AM & 98.3 FM