Contact Us

Missoula Rural Fire Department Warns of Carbon Monoxide Dangers [AUDIO]


Carbon Monoxide Detector
photo by Chris Newman

Missoula Rural Fire is warning residents of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning this winter.

Deputy Chief and Fire Marshall Chris Newman said on Wednesday, March 5, that the heavy snows over the past few weeks could create a carbon monoxide hazard.

“One of the things that happens when we get heavy snow is a lot of the vents on the roofs of homes can get blocked, and when they get blocked you can have an issue with carbon monoxide because that vent is not able to do what it’s supposed to do,” Newman said. It’s a reminder to get up on the roof and make sure those exhaust vents aren’t blocked.”

Another problem is starting up the car and allowing it to warm up while it’s still inside the garage.

“When it’s cold, we all want to hop into a nice warm car,” Newman said. “We like to remind people that warming up the car inside the garage, even with the door open is asking for trouble with carbon monoxide. The gas can sit inside the garage, even long after you’ve driven away, and get inside the house and cause problems.”

Newman said Missoula Rural Fire has had several calls recently about carbon monoxide.

“We’ve seen a rise over the last week or two in carbon monoxide calls,” Newman said. “Those outcomes were positive, because the homes were equipped with carbon monoxide detectors. We believe that carbon monoxide alarms are at least as important as fire or smoke alarms in a home.”

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide.

Missoula Rural Fire Deputy Chief and Fire Marshall with Chris Newman

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.


Best of News Talk KGVO

Recommended for You

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing VIP profile. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to using your original account information.

*Please note that your prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

(Forgot your password?)

Not a member? Sign up here

Sign up for KGVO Club VIP quickly by connecting your Facebook account. It's just as secure and no password to remember!

Sign up to have exclusive KGVO Club VIP contests, events, coupons, presales, and much more delivered to you for FREE.