Events by EventfulIntroduction to ADA & Basic Sign Language
These intensive trainings will assist Montanans in recognizing and appropriately interacting with people who have or acquire a disability.
Fee: $20 in advance, $25 at the door
Hotel meeting rooms: Bitterroot and Blackfoot Rooms
9 am – noon:
Introduction to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Interacting with People with Disabilities.
- Disability prevalance
- ADA/disability laws overview
- What the ADA covers
- Who is protected by ADA
- Employer/business tax incentives
- ADA effective communication
- Service Animals
- Disability specific etiquette
- Helpful resources
1:30 – 5pm:
Basic Sign Language and the American with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Participants will produce and recognize the hand shapes of the Manual alphabet, acquire knowledge of the rules of American Sign Language (ASL), and produce and recognize 24 commonly used phrases.
- Participants will produce and recognize signed numbers
- Acquire knowledge of ADA effective communication requirements for employers, business and state/local governmental entitites. Increase knowledge of auxiliary aids and services and acquire knowledge of available tax credits.
- Participants will become familiar with Montana resources.
Over the past four decades, Cindy Powell’s career has included advising businesses, employers, government agencies and nonprofits about best practices with people with disabilities. Former Montana resident (1979-92) Ms Powell provides training on the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), tax incentives and other helpful topics, such as disability etiquette and service animals. Cindy publishes disability articles nationally, online and in print.
For more information:
Montana Council on Developmental Disabilities (MCDD)
To register by phone: 866-443-4332
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org